Monday 6 April 2009

Of all the blogs in all the sites in all the world, you read mine

Casablanca Title...(1942) :) I hope you got it... :)

This is gonna a loooong post. Browse down. Take your time. Read the titles you're actually curious about if not all...

For all the crap I write, there are a hundred movies, ATLEAST that deserve their own post. The list is quite endless...
Let me try making a list. A small one...

Metropolis(1926)
Schindler's List (1994)
The Godfather Trilogy(1972,1974 and 1990)
The Lion King(1994)
Its a Wonderful Life(1946)
ROCKY "Hex"ology?? (1976 to 2006)
Fight Club(1999)
Dr. Strangelove(1964)
A Clockwork Orange(1974)
Casablanca(1942)
Scarface(both 1932 and 1983)
The Green Mile(1999)
Judgement At Nuremberg(1961)
The Grapes of Wrath(1940)
The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance(1975)
Mr. Smith Goes to Washington()
Dog Day Afternoon(1975)
..And Justice For All(1979)
Network(1976)
Scent Of A Woman(1992)

Now I have a lot on my list. This was from the Top250 of the IMDb list. Makes it easier...
By the way, for the critics of IMDb and the list, I don't think its a perfect list. Definitely flawed on several accounts. But it is one of the more reliable lists. IMDb is unfortunately unfair to comedies. The top list has Monty Python( Life of Brian, Holy Grail ) and Charlie Chaplin( The Great Dictator, City Lights ). But the more modern slapstick is horribly rated. I mean, movies like "Baby's Day Out", "Ace Ventura" and "Father of the Bride" are rated at 5's and 6's. Even parodies, good ones, like "Robin Hood:Men In Tights" are rated low. And I laugh like a clowns business when I watch them. Anyway.. This post is more of a rant of a handful of the greats.

Metropolis(1926)
Fritz Lang was a visionary in his field. Metropolis is considered one of the very first greats. A silent movie. For its time, the score was fantastic. And I'm getting warmed up. The sets and the screenplay were light years ahead of the time. It never got slow. The movie was classic. Character descriptions were perfect. You can understand the minds and the ideas of the silent characters if they just gave you a look and a wave of the hand. The sets. Huge... It was amazing. I couldn't believe it. I remember thinking, "Was this actually made in 1926?"... The robot poster is a great. It wants to make you watch the movie ASAP... :) I had a hard time getting the movie. But when I did, it was so totally worth it... I could go on. But I wont. Watch the movie.. And be amazed...
Amazing Scenes: When our young protagonist realises how different the world below is...
When he tries to save the minions..

The Godfather Trilogy(1972,1974 and 1990)
Technically, the Godfather Trilogy needs no introduction. Everyone has heard of them and you, reading this post have most likely seen them as well. One of the very few adaptations that did the book any defined justice at all. Screenplay, Cinematography, Characters, Acting, Marlon Brando, Al Pacino, Score, Direction, Art Direction, Sets... Yes.. I'll stop. The first movie is a classic. The second isn't even a sequel. It stands so strong on its own. Robert De Niro barely even spoke English. And you could've sworn it was a younger Marlon Brando acting instead. Now.. Part 3. I don't think it got all it deserved. It was more complex. Unless you catch every dialogue and meaning, its unlikely you'll get the story. It spent so much time on Michael's relationships as well. And not just on him being the Godfather. Joe Mantegna was amazing. And Andy Garcia was very James Caan... Part 3 had stellar performances and a very good story. It actually helped the series come to powerful pack up. Michael can do whatever he wants. He spent his whole life protecting the family he eventually lost. You will see the movies one day. And you will nod and say, "Yep, these movies are cult for a reason"..

Amazing Scenes:
Part 1: James Caans monologue when he chides Michael for wanting to shoot Sollozzo...
Every time Marlon Brando speaks...
When Michael tells Carlo not to lie to him... And another 2 hours worth of film time...
Part 2: Michael Corleone on screen... Every expression and look...
"You broke my heart Fredo... You broke my heart"
Fredos death... and the rest...
Part 3: "Just when I thought I was out, they pull me back in"
When Vincent Mancini becomes Don Vincenzo Corleone
When Michael screams at the end...

Schindlers List(1994)
Very long. Very engaging. Very disturbing. Steven Spielberg is a great director. No denying. This movie was stunning. I wouldn't sleep for 2 days. I needed 3 romantic comedies to counter the affect this movie had on me. It was so well done. I cannot possibly tell you how. And why... Everything. Everything. It had to be as long as it was. Again, technically, it was a masterpiece. Liam Neeson has since become one of my favourite actors. He has played some great characters.. Oskar Schindler here... Michael Collins(Michael Collins, 1996), Qui-Gon Jinn(Star Wars Episode 1, 1999), Ra's Al Ghul/Henri Ducard (Batman Begins,2005) and Brian Mills(Taken,2008).. Schindlers List was only the beginning. Schindlers List defeated great movies of the year to the Oscars. They included, Philadelphia(Tom Hanks, Denzel Washington) and In The Name Of The Father(Daniel Day Lewis.. The only fault was that it released along with Schindlers List. Any other year, it would have probably been destructive at the Oscars)...
Schindlers List takes a patient mind to watch. And it takes a strong one to finish. And believe me when I say, if you don't shed a tear at the end, you need to see a shrink...
The little girl in red.. Never a word said. But so much communicated with so little.
Amazing Scenes: "One more man"...
Ralph Fiennes tries to be the man with power...
Liam Neeson, Ralph Fiennes, Ben Kingsley...(anytime on screen)
The train station
The body burnings

The Lion King(1994)
Where do I even start? Do you watch cartoons? Have you seen this one? The Lion King is quite simply the greatest animated movie ever made. This movie was a cricket match. Isme action hain, emotion hain, drama hain... It also had a great score, fantastic music, destructive storyline, killer characters, solid animation, great screenplay... So much was put into just 85 minutes. It was so good, you have to wonder how...
Let me go long here.
Mufasa: A true king. I would follow this lion to end if he was ever my king. So powerful. Looks and voice. James Earl Jones was also Darth Vader...
Rafiki: When he finds out Simba is still alive, the happiness is so sincere, I feel like celebrating with him. Fun loving and the philosophy of the gods. He preached with a manner that made us all listen. Rafiki is a man you all wish you had in your lives. A guide and a friend whom you respect and can love to be with.
Timon and Pumbaa: Heh... Hehe... For all the inappropriateness... :D
Scar: Jeremy Irons makes you get chills up your spine with every line. He slithers like a snake and still makes sure you know that he has the brains of a Machiavellian conspirator. No physical strength. But scary as hell.. Be Prepared...
Ed, Shenzi and Banzai: You gotta love them.. For all they try to do.. You cant deny it..
And please, Hans Zimmer, Elton John,Tim Rice... Take a bow...
Amazing Scenes: Am I actually gonna try narrowing this down...

Its a Wonderful Life(1946)
This movie was a commercial disaster when it released. It has since become one of the most popular Christmas movies of all time. And no matter when, this movie a lovely movie. The timeless story of hope, love, family and friendship. George Bailey is every small mans hero. He is everything that symbolises honesty and loyalty. George Bailey never thought he could do with his life what he really wanted. Things just never went his way. But he did what was right. He did what was important. But of course, we never know what we have till its gone. Neither did George. At a point when he finally questioned his existence, he learns a lesson that makes him understand that no matter how life goes, whether a person succeeds or not, whether he follows his dreams or not, life is still beautiful. Its hard sometimes, but its never as bad as you believe it is... Frank Capra directed the movie. He is a king among directors. A man who truly made movies which gave happiness and hope when he was done. Even though Its a Wonderful Life failed commercially, it has made many lives richer... I am one of them. I shed tears everytime I watch the ending.. EVERY TIME...
James Stewart of course, deserves a special mention. A fantastic actor. Harvey(1950), Mr. Smith Goes To Washington(1939) are movies which I ought to write about. But I have reached the end of my strength. My fingers beg me to stop.
But of course,
Amazing Scenes: Auld Lang Syne
The alternate reality
When George tries to keep his customers at the Housing and Loan
So much more... Amazing movie..
I don't expect you to have reached this point... But if you have, Wow... :)
I have not mentioned many. And have not done justice to all the movies I have mentioned...
Maybe you ask me, and I'll talk a lot more.. :)
I'll fill in more movie reviews and discussions soon...
Tell me if these helped. Tell me if these made you want to watch the movies. If they did, then there are so many more... :)

Movies are art. Not just that, they are also a platform for learning. You don't learn lessons like the ones in Lion King and Its a Wonderful Life walking along the street. I have learnt a few things. And I believe I have changed for the better. Not just the movies... Another thing helped as well... Gr8.. :)
I love the arts. I can appreciate painting and music. But movies are something much more personal...
I don't expect you to understand... Just read.. :)
Comment...
And yes.. again..

"...You've got to ask yourself one question: 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, punk?"
Inspector "Dirty" Harry Calahan
(Clint Eastwood, Dirty Harry, 1971)

5 comments:

varun said...

nuevo cinema paradiso....has to be on the list...

and yeah...gonna watch metropolis...well written kiddo..

bloody hell! still dont know how to get rid of thetallman thing.

Vinita said...

This shouldn't be a blog. It amounts to multiple entries in an encyclopedia. Useful work. Makes me wanna watch Its a Wonderful Life.
But multiple entries at one go find it hard to sustain my interest. Whatever... don't you give a damn to that.

Unknown said...

Loved reading every word of it. Simply because you KNOW and LOVE what you are talking about.

You are so much better than what you give yourself credit for.

PS : Right back at ya big guy..

The Soul Slayer said...

Dai!!!....nice blog da...lux like u've put in lot of effort in2 this stuff!!...good job!!

m@verick said...

I'm wid u ..! The Godfather trio and Lion King so far ... Its a wonderful life is on my hit list next ;)