Tuesday 25 November 2008

Double Standards - The woes of a fanatic

DISCLAIMER: For better or worse, for right or wrong, this is an opinion. It doesn't apply to everyone and not necessarily
to me either... Just read. Leave comments if you wanna say something.. Or call me, mail me or any of those bloody billion ways of 21st century communication...

I'm a movie buff... Real hardcore. I enjoy movies. I like stories and tales. Movies, books and music are the ways i stay awake... I have watched movies that very few people can discuss. I have read books most other people have. My tastes in movies are wide... Action and Comedy rule. But crime and Drama are the genres that really really get my gears turning. Fantasy and all that are just fun. I'm not big on vampires and blood and gore though. Books are anything. Anything I can touch for the most part. Just for the record, my favourite movie is "Schindlers List". I'm lost trying to figure out a favourite book. Favourite song is "Unchained Melody"... ONLY, and I repeat ONLY the Righteous Brothers version. Elvis is god... But I personally wish he had never done a live cover of the song. Favourite Hindi song is "Mere Sapno Ki Rani". Favourite Hindi movie is a difficult pick too... But lets say "Vaastav" for now...

Now lets get down to what the title of this post means.
I know more about certain movies than your average movie buff... I'm not tooting my horn here. Certain people, after reading this will want to kick my ass so hard that my next post will be from the moon. So, in all modesty, I do... About certain movies more than certain people.
I mean, example... How many of you know that Al Pacino's "Scarface" (directed Brian DePalma) was a remake of a 1932 movie of the same name. Actually it was named, "Scarface: The Shame of the Nation"... it was based on the life of Al Capone, the then bootlegging Chicago mob boss and had Paul Muni potraying "Tony Camonte" opposed to Pacino's "Montana"... The remake had the Cuban gangsters. And every important aspect of the script was literally lifted off the original. etc. etc. etc... I could go on... Both movies are amazing. Stellar works.

Now I enjoy cricket. I like playing it and I like watching it. I live in India, so its like a side-effect of being Indian. A good one though. I, however, don't have statistics and teams and history of cricket sliding off my tongue. I like tennis. I love watching it. But again, I don't have stats slipping out of my pockets. The same goes on for F1. I watch the Football World Cup and was actually sad when France missed the Cup in 2006... Was actually sad. This from guy who barely knows the team players.

NOW... WHY is it ok to know everything about every player and every match in the history of a sport and NOT OK if you have the relatively same knowledge about movies...? I can argue as a fact that moms and dads get equally pissed if its a movie or a match I'm watching before an exam. Or even otherwise... For almost every bloody kid. Almost (Yes, I am being carefully diplomatic, if you have criticism, either put it in the comments or shove it down your throat (and i hope it doesn't digest) ...) For some reason, its ok if I can sustain a conversation about a sport, but its almost being a 'lost soul... a lad without vision and ambition' or "This guy is going to amount to nothing" kinda fellow if I give you more than necessary details about a movie...
Consider: "The first two Cricket World Cups didn't see India even qualifying through the first round. India took the Cup in 1983. And that Kapil Devs famous 175 which was never recorded on film was in this series against Zimbabwe." If I said this, then I'm, "well informed"...
If i said all that stuff I said before about Scarface, the most common responses I'll get are, "Duh ...", "So..?" and maybe, "Loser.."

I love cricket. Don't get me wrong... But my affinities to movies puts me in this situation sometimes and it gets on my nerves...
Cricket is a sport. Its fun and its beautiful and its fantastic.
In the same breadth, movies are art and no less beautiful or fantastic than cricket or football...

I await arguments and responses... (and expect to be left hanging)...
Till my next post then... To anyone who reaches this page, by fault or purpose, May The Force Be With You...

No comments: